Dec 28, 2018
Turin apart at the seams...
The deep dive on the Shroud of Turin continues in part 2!
Skeptics of the Shroud of Turin's authenticity bring up a number of
points on why it's not actually the burial sheet of Jesus. Flora
takes a look at the arguments presented against the shroud's
authenticity as well as questions that popped up along the way.
Could this thing actually be 2,000 years old? Is it the holy relic
many people think it is? Science on the dating, image formation,
and theories on who made it are addressed. David also explains his
thoughts and opinions on the shroud's authenticity, based on his
research into this topic. Listen to the other side of the debate
and ponder this mystery to your heart's content in this episode of
Rites, Danse Macabre, Long Note 4, Hiding Your
Reality - Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
Nickell, Joe. Inquest on
the Shroud of Turin: Latest Scientific Findings. Amherst, NY:
Prometheus Books. 1998.
Meacham, William. "The
Authentication of the Turin Shroud, An Issue in Archeological
Epistemology". Current Anthropology. 1983
Wilson, Ian. The Shroud of
Turin: The Burial Cloth of Jesus Christ? Rev. ed. Garden
City, New York: Image Books. 1979.
McCrone, Walter C. Judgment
Day for the Turin Shroud. Chicago: Microscope.
D’Arcis, Pierre. Memorandum
to the Avignon Pope, Clement VII, translated from Latin by
Rev. Herbert Thurston, 1389. Reprinted in Wilson 1979,
Radiocarbon Dating of the Shroud of
Turin, Nature, Vol. 337, No. 6208, pp. 611-615, 16th
- Chivers, Tom. The Turin Shroud is Fake. Get Over
It. Signs of the Times. Dec. 20, 2011.
- Lusher, Adam. 628 Year Old Fake News: Scientists Prove
Turin Shroud Not Genuine (Again). London: The Independent.
Jul. 16, 2018,
- Nickell, Joe. Crucifixion Evidence Debunks Turin
"Shroud". Center for Inquiry. Jun. 18, 2018.
- Ramsey, Christopher. The Shroud of Turin. Oxford,
U.K: Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit. Mar. 2008.
- Viviano, Frank. Why Shroud of Turin's Secrets Continue
to Elude Science. National Geographic. Apr. 17, 2015.
- Nickell, Joe. Fake Turin Shroud Deceives National
Geographic Author. Center for Scientific Inquiry. Apr. 23,
- Ateo, John L.; C., Rachel. The Shroud of Turin: Burial
Cloth of Jesus or Cheap Fake. Silly Beliefs. 2009.
- Ford, David. The Shroud of Turin's 'Blood' Images.
University of Maryland Baltimore County. Dec. 10, 2000.
- Nickell, Joe. Claims of Invalid "Shroud" Radiocarbon
Date Cut from Whole Cloth. Center for Inquiry. Mar. 2, 2005.
- Freeman, Charles. The Shroud of Turin and the Image of
Edessa: A misguided Journey. The Skeptical Shroud of Turin
Website. May 24, 2012.
- The Popes and the Holy Shroud. Vatican Insider. Apr.
- Boese, Alex. The Medieval Relic Trade. The Museum
of Hoaxes. 2015.
- Calvin, John. A Treatise on Relics. Edinburgh:
Johnstone, Hunter & Co.
- McCrone, Walter. McCrone: The Shroud of Turin.
Chicago: McCrone Research Institute. 2018.
- Dave. Is the Shroud of Turin Really Jesus?
Skeptical Science. Dec. 28, 2015.
- Carroll, Robert Todd. "Shroud" of Turin. The
Skeptic's Dictionary. Oct. 29, 2015.